Clarksville, TN 37042
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
POSITION TITLE: Dietary Cook
FLSA: Non-Exempt, Hourly
REPORTS TO: Dietary Manager
The primary purpose of the Dietary Cook is to prepare and provide food service to residents in a cost-effective, efficient manner to safely meet residents’ needs in compliance with federal, state and local requirements.
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Assume accountability for data contained in the employees’ handbook.
- Observe all facility safety policies and procedures.
- Observe all facility infection control procedures
- Complies with state, federal, and all other applicable health care and safety standards
- Follow facility Residents’ Rights policies.
- Protect the confidentiality of all resident information.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of the facility culture and the expectations it incurs.
- Demonstrate awareness of how the culture of the facility affects our service to the veterans we serve.
- Assists families and other visitors as needed.
- Attends/completes required in-services and other required meetings.
- Come to work in clean, neat attire and consistently present a professional appearance.
- Come to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrate dependability and punctuality.
- Perform all duties assigned in an effective, timely and professional manner.
- Accept assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
- Perform other related duties as directed by his/her supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Handle and prepare food in a sanitary manner.
- Prepare food which is palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Keep work area clean and sanitize work surfaces after food preparation.
- Follow written menus and recipes.
- Understand and be able to prepare therapeutic diets.
- Be responsible for avoiding food waste.
- Assume responsibility for meeting meal schedules.
- Responsible for care of food service equipment.
- Work cooperatively with food service staff and other departments.
- Assume Quality Assurance duties as assigned.
- Consistently work cooperatively with residents, residents’ representatives, facility staff, physicians, consultants and ancillary service providers.
- Reports any issues or problems that may arise to Dietary Manager
- Complies with state and federal sanitation standards
EDUCATIONS and EXPERIENCE an equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- High School diploma or equivalent; previous experience in a long-term care or hospital setting is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
SUPERVISORY REQUIREMENTS of this position are generally as follows:
- This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Language Ability – Reads and interprets documents. Ability to write simple reports and correspondence Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information
- Verbal Communication – Talks to others to convey information effectively
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Math Ability – Basic knowledge of arithmetic and algebra, and their applications
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple written or oral instructions
- Clerical – Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology
- Quality Management – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes tasks correctly and on time
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; advises for additional resources
- Attendance/Punctuality – Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability – Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions
COMPUTER SKILLS/EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM THE JOB which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Desktop/Notebook computers; MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Pots/pans, cutlery, including knives, forks and spoons, gas/electric stove and/or oven, broilers, microwave oven, fryer, griddle, toaster, slicer, blender and other kitchen equipment
WORK ENVIRONMENT environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme heat or cold, humidity, and danger of burns from stoves and/or hot liquids
- The employee is occasionally required to wear protective clothing
- The employee may be exposed to blood, body fluids, infectious diseases, air contaminants, and hazardous chemicals
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
PHYSICAL ABILITIES commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel or crouch, use hands to use hands to grasp, manipulate or feel objects and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color discrimination, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
All applicants must complete a Criminal Background Check and Pre-Employment Drug Screening.