This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
POSITION TITLE: Certified Nursing Assistant
FLSA: Non-Exempt, Hourly
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing
The primary purpose of the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is to provide personal care to residents in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort consistent with policies and procedures while complying with state, federal and all other applicable health care standards.
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Assume accountability for data contained in the employees’ handbook.
- Observe all facility safety policies and procedures.
- Observe all facility infection control procedures
- Complies with state, federal, and all other applicable health care and safety standards
- Follow facility Residents’ Rights policies.
- Protect the confidentiality of all resident information.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of the facility culture and the expectations it incurs.
- Demonstrate awareness of how the culture of the facility affects our service to the veterans we serve.
- Assists families and other visitors as needed.
- Attends/completes required in-services and other required meetings.
- Come to work in clean, neat attire and consistently present a professional appearance.
- Come to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrate dependability and punctuality.
- Perform all duties assigned in an effective, timely and professional manner.
- Accept assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
- Perform other related duties as directed by his/her supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists with lifting, turning, moving, positioning, and transporting residents into and out beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, lifts, etc.
- Assists with the daily physical and hygienic care needs of residents as directed. These duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists residents with dressing and ensure that dependent residents are dressed in clean, dry clothing appropriate for season, in good repair, changing clothes/gowns when wet or soiled
- Gives or assists resident with bathing and daily dental/mouth care
- Assists residents with hair combing, brushing, shampooing, and styling
- Keeps incontinent residents clean, dry, and odor free; maintain per facility policy
- Assists residents with bowel and bladder functions
- Makes beds and changes bed linens when soiled
- Shaves male patients daily and female residents as needed
- Assists residents in preparing for activity and social programs
- Assists and accompany residents with travel when necessary
- Prepares residents for meals, assists, serving food trays or feed residents, as necessary and record/or report residents intake or acceptance of food, serve snacks or nourishments in between meals
- Advises supervising charge nurse of residents’ status and condition at beginning and end of shift and documents observations as required
- Maintains records and flow sheets accurately and timely
- Measures and records vitals and weights as instructed
- Observes and reports the presence of skin breakdown or redness to the nurse
- Observes and reports any physical or emotional changes observed in the residents including any complaints or grievances made by the resident
- Promotes a safe and clean environment
- Assures that all equipment is clean and functional and reports any malfunctions to supervisor
- Complies with requirements of procedures for safe lifting and/or transfer of residents per established policies and procedures
- Washes hands before and after performing any service for the resident and follows infection control guidelines and universal precautions
- Reports all hazardous conditions and equipment to a nurse immediately
- Collects and labels lab specimens, as directed
- Reviews care plans daily to ensure provision of appropriate care
- Maintains confidentiality of all resident information and ensures resident privacy
- Promotes and supports the greatest possible degree of independence for residents
- Follows established restraint and isolation precautions and procedures as ordered by a physician
- May be required to be “on-call” periodically or as specifically needed by facility
- Understands and reviews the facility’s Healthcare Clinical Policies and Procedures and Safety Guidelines
- Reports any issues or problems that may arise to the Unit Nurse or Director of Nursing
- Responsible for the safety and personal care of residents under his/her supervision.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE an equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; minimum of 1 year of previous long-term care experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must hold a current and valid CNA certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Language Ability – Reads and interprets documents. Ability to write simple reports and correspondence Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information
- Verbal Communication – Talks to others to convey information effectively
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Math Ability – Basic knowledge of arithmetic and algebra, and their applications
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple written or oral instructions
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles for providing customer and personal services; includes meeting quality standards for services
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem
- Quality Management – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes tasks correctly and on time
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; advises for additional resources
- Attendance/Punctuality – Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability – Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions
SUPERVISORY REQUIREMENTS of this position are generally as follows:
- This position does not have supervisory responsibility
COMPUTER SKILLS/EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM THE JOB which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Desktop/Notebook computers
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Various medical equipment (wheelchairs, geri chairs, gait belts, etc.)
WORK ENVIRONMENT environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- The employee is occasionally required to wear protective clothing
- The employee may be exposed to blood, bodily fluids, odors, airborne particles, dust or fumes, and toxic or caustic chemicals
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
PHYSICAL ABILITIES commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel or crouch, use hands to use hands to grasp, manipulate or feel objects and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted. May be required to lift and/or move up to 150 pounds with assistance
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color discrimination, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Applicant must be willing to complete a background check and pre-employment drug screening.